Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Special Edition Blog (Final)


Masterpiece
Still Life with a Basket of Fruit and a Bunch of Asparagus; Louise Moillon

This piece was by far one of my favorite pieces in the museum, which is why I chose it as a masterpiece. I caught my attention as soon as it was pointed out. It was as if I was looking at a real bowl of fruit and vegetables . Probably what pops out the more are the cherries. I have always found it amazing how early painters were able to use the different colors of paint to add some shadow and some lights to their paintings to make them look so realistic. Now I can do that on Illustrator or another computer program, but it is difficult to think about how they did it with actual paint. My eyes first locked in on the cherries, but as I got closer everything else also looked realistic. Of course once I was standing right next to it you could see it was just paint on a canvas. I felt that the shades complemented really well with the fruit. By this I mean how the back it all black as it gets to the table it gets lighter. It makes it look like the table is actually close when realistically everything is the same distance away. This painting looks like a bowl of fruit more than an acutall bowl of fruit looks. It is difficult for me to explain because I do not have the most knowledge in art, but these types of paintings are something I have always found fascinating.

Disasterpiece


This was by far one of the worst works of "art" that I saw at the Institute. I guess you can say it is indeed abstract. Not knowing a lot about art I get aggravated thinking that this was so simple and it is hung in an art museum, but I get aggravated because I didn't think about doing this myself. I must say I am a big fan of adding black borders to most of my work especially when working with white also. For this reason it did catch my attention. There is a really nice contrast going on between the border and the middle, so that definitely works, but other than that there is really nothing else going on. Sure it can catch your attention as a whole, so it does have that working for it. This piece of art needs some more content because after catching the attention of the viewer for a couple of seconds, there is really nothing else that can capture the viewer's eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment